Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with identified scientific research institutes/ organizations and Universities in India and abroad focuses on development of bilateral cooperation in operational oceanography and ocean modeling, climate change research, ecosystem studies and coastal zone management programmes.
MOU signed on 17th Feb 2008 with Indian National Center for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS). INCOIS founded in 1998 has a mission i.e. to provide the best possible ocean information and advisory services to the society, industry, government and scientific community through sustained ocean observations and constant improvement through systematic and focused research. Confluence of Ocean Science Ocean Observing Systems (both Satellite based and In-situ) and Information Technology is vital to the realisation of this mission
- To develop co-operative efforts in research and education with focus on environmental, ecological and climate research issues of regional concern ,in accordance with the MoU.
- Dr. Sudheer Joseph, Sr. scientist from INCOIS had been trained in the application of HYCOM modeling for the Indian Ocean at NERSC, Bergen, Norway in 2008.
MOU signed on 26 Nov 2007 IRS (Institute of Remote Sensing), an integral part of Anna University, Chennai, is a leading academic institution involved in academics, research and consultancy activities in the field of surveying, remote sensing, and geographical information system.
- Main focus on technical matters related to student and faculty exchange, research, and consultancy, in the area of applications of Geomatics in Environmental Management and Natural Disasters. The MoU focuses on development of bilateral cooperation in operational oceanography and ocean modeling.
- Ms. Lakshmi Srikantha and Mr. Madhavan Narayanan, Ph.D. students from Institute of Remote Sensing, Anna University were trained at Mohn-Sverdrup Centre, NERSC, Bergen in 2010 on respectively HYCOM modeling applications for the Indian Ocean and geostatistical analysis of fish catch, ocean modeling and remote sensing data.
MOU signed in February 2010 with CUSAT (Cochin University of Science & Technology), is an autonomous University for higher Education founded in I971,. It has at present 26 Departments/Schools for teaching/research and has a faculty of nearly 400 and student strength above 2000. Laboratory facilities are available in all disciplines of Marine Sciences at the Lakeside Campus of the University. CUSAT is involved in quite a number of research projects funded by various national agencies and is also recipient of grant under the Dutch NUFFIC program under which a Centre for Integrated Management of Coastal Zone is established.
- Overall objective is to develop joint cooperation in research and higher education among the participating institutions in areas of marine and remote sensing, marine eco system and studies, development of algorithms in processing of satellite remotely sensed data
- This MOU helps to provide Nansen fellowship for three Indian Ph.D. students in ocean and atmospheric research.
MOU WITH TOC H INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
AND J.C. BOSE CENTER FOR RESEARCH & ADVANCED STUDIES
MOU signed on 17.2.2010 with TOC H Institute of Science & Technology, Arakunnam, Ernakulam, India, started in 2002, is an institution affiliated to Cochin University of Science & Technology, Kerala, India, offering undergraduate and post graduate programmes in Engineering and Technology and also Masters in Business Administration.
J.C.Bose Centre for Research & Advances Studies is sponsored by TIST for taking up research programmes in different fields relevant to the modern times.
- The overall objective is to develop joint programmes in research and higher education among the participating institutions
MOU WITH TERI and UNITED NATIONS ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME (UNEP)-APFED
MOU with UNEP signed on 24th April 2007 is for implementation of projects under the APFED Showcase programme. The Showcase facility aims to demonstrate, through the implementation of showcase projects, innovative practices for sustainable development in the Asia and Pacific region. In line with the arrangement detailed in the call proposal, the APFED Show Case Panel selected TERI, one of the registered institutes of APFED Network of Research Institutes for Sustainable Development, to support, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the selected project proposal by the Nansen Environmental Research Centre.
- Collaborate with TERI to review and revise, as required, the project proposal taking into account the comments made by the Showcase Panel and to finalise a project implementation plan, including monitoring and evaluation based upon pre-defined indicators of achievement
- Implement the project and collect necessary data and information for evaluation
- Prepare the mid-term self-evaluation report and submit it to TERI
- Facilitate final evaluation and project report and submit final financial report
Future Collaborative research Partners
PML is an International Centre of Excellence in Marine Science & Technology and a Collaborative Centre of the UK Natural Environment Research Council. PML carries out innovative and timely fundamental, strategic and applied research in the marine environment from the uppermost reaches of estuaries to the open ocean.
Centro Euromediterraneo per i Cambiamenti Climatici (CMCC)(http://www.cmcc.it)
Address: Via Augusto Imperatore 16,
73100 Lecce, Italy.
The Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change (CMCC) is a newly established research centre, funded by the Italian Ministries of the Environment and Land Protection, of Education, University and Research, and of Economy and Finance, that aims at furthering knowledge in the field of climatic variability, including causes and consequences, through the development of high-resolution simulations and impact models.
Institut Francais Recherche Pour L´Exploitation de la Mer (IFREMER)(http://www.ifremer.fr)
155 rue Jean Jacques Rousseau.
ISSY-LES-MOULINEAUX, 92138, France.
IFREMER is a public institute of industrial and commercial nature. Ifremer develops basic and applied research , expertise activities and industrial and technological development actions, aiming at : the identification, evaluation, forecasting and sustainable exploitation of marine resources, the development of more efficient methods for the monitoring, behavioural forecasting, protection and enhancement of the marine and coastal environments; the encouragement of the economic development of marine activity.
Stichting Dienst Landbouwkundig Onderzoek (Alterra)(http://www.alterra.wur.nl)
The Stichting Dienst Landbouwkundig Onderzoek (DLO) is the parent organization for several research organisations in the Netherland, among them ALTERRA. Alterra is the research institute for our green living environment and DLO is part of the Wageningen University and Research Centre. Alterra offers a combination of practical and scientific research in a multitude of disciplines related to the green world around us and the sustainable use of our living environment. Alterra is renowned for its interdisciplinary approach to research and its ability to translate fundamental scientific developments and insights into applicable solutions, particularly in the context of sustainable development.
Kerala University of Fisheries and Ocean Studies(http://www.Kufos.ac.in)
Panangad P.O., Kochi,Kerala,
India,Pin 682 506
KUFOS is an autonomous public funded institution established on 20th November, 2010 which is the first Fisheries university in India coming under the Fisheries ministry with its headquarters at Panangad, near Kochi . This is the primary and principal instrumentality of Kerala State in providing human resources, skills and technology required for the sustainable development of Fisheries and Ocean Studies. It acts as a centre of excellence for human resource development in Fisheries and Ocean Studies and the nodal agency to establish relationship with institutions and universities functioning at national and international level. The mission of the University is to serve as a flagship University of higher learning through demonstrated and growing excellence in teaching, research, extension, training, scholarship and creative work in Fisheries and Ocean studies, comparable with global standards that will benefit the country and the world at large.